Food safety and standards authority of india is established to exercise the powers granted to, and to perform the functions assigned to, it under the food safety and standards act. It is called as the food authority. The head office of fssai is located at delhi and other regional offices are located in other states. We can consult in your responsibilities, liability, food recall procedures with our years of experience. Register with us for fssai food license online.
Fssai is an abbreviation used for food safety and standards authority of india. Fssai license is mandatory before starting any food business. All the manufacturers, traders, restaurants who are involved in food business must obtain a 14-digit registration or a license number which must be printed on food packages.
This step is taken by goverment’s food licensing & registration system to ensure that food products undergo certain quality checks, thereby reducing the instances of adulteration, substandard products and improve accountability of manufacturers by issuing food service license. Fssai online registration is done through legalraasta. Fssai online registration is done through legalraasta for basic and central level. For state, the fssai registration is done through offline mode.
What is fssai?
Fssai food license is under the control of government of india and ministry of health and family affair. The fssai has been established under the food safety and security act of 2006 that sets standards for food products based on science and regulates their production, storage, distribution, sales and imports to ensure they are safe for consumption.
Licensing and registration of food business
Fssai registration is essential for all the operators of food business weather wholesalers, manufacturers, suppliers, traders, re-packers, etc. There are different types of fssai registration & the type of fssai registration depends upon the annual turnover of the food business. No person shall commence or carry on any food business except under a license with exception of a tiny food business operator, but they shall register themselves with food authority.
The operators of food business who are looking for licensing fssai or looking for fssai renewal, have to apply through form b. Its not much difficult task, there is just only one application form b to apply either for new licensing fssai or for fssai renewal of the food business operators.
Fssai license is basically a 14- digit registration number which is printed on food packages.
Documents required to obtain fssai license
- Form- b completed and signed by the director or authorized signatory.
- Blueprint/layout of the processing unit showing the dimensions and operation-wise area allocation (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only).
- List of directors / partner / proprietor / executive members of society / trust with full address and contact details (mandatory for companies only).
- Name and list of equipments and machinery along with the number, installed capacity and horse power used (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only).
- Photo identification and address proof issued by the government for proprietor / partner / director(s) / authorized signatory (optional).
- List of food category desired to be manufactured. (for manufactures only).
- Authority letter with name and address of responsible person nominated by the manufacturer along with alternative responsible person indicating the powers vested with them viz assisting the officers in inspection, collection of samples, packing and dispatch. (for manufacturers and processors).
- Analysis report (chemical & bacteriological) of water to be used as ingredient in food from a recognized / public health laboratory to confirm the portability. (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units).
- Proof of possession of premises (sale deed / rental agreement / electricity bill)
- & aoa along with certificate of incorporation and list of directors with address. In case of company, and pan card
- Noc & copy of license from manufacturer (mandatory for relabellers and repackers).
- Food safety management system plan or certificate (as attached).
- Source of milk or procurement plan for milk including location of milk collection centres in case of milk and milk products processing units. (if applicable).
- fssai form ix: nomination of persons by a company along with the board resolution.
- Photo of factory building
Additional document for manufacturer
Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit
List of equipment and machinery
List of food category desired to be manufactured
Pesticide residues report of water
Upload production unit photograph
Guidelines on fssai license number
The 14-digit number provides information about the manufacturer’s license or registration details and the manufacturing state.
The brand owner shall display the fssai logo and his license number on the label of food package.
In case of imported food products, the importer shall display fssai logo and license number along with the name and address of importer on a sticker to be affixed before customs clearance.
Types of fssai license
Businesses engaged in food activities are required to apply for different type of food license based on turnover, scale of business and the type of activity. Such businesses must apply for either of the licenses (central or state) or simple registration. The criteria specified in rules are as follows:
this is required for small business or startups which have annual turnover below rs.12 lakhs. Basic registration can be upgraded to state license as your sales graph increases.
Fssai state license
this license is applicable to mid-sized companies which have annual turnover between rs.12-20 crores.
Fssai central license
this license is applicable typically on large business with annual turnover above rs.20 crores. It is also required in cases where you need to supply at the government offices or import / export food products.
Steps for getting online fssai registration and license
The food safety & standards act, 2006 introduced to improve the hygiene and quality of food has brought about tremendous changes in the food industry. As per the act, no person shall commence or carry on any food business except under a fssai license or fssai registration. Therefore, any food manufacturing or processing or packaging or distributing entity is now required to obtain a fssai license or registration.
Fssai license is issued by the food safety and standards authority of india (fssai), ministry of family health & welfare, government of india. Application to commence a food business must be made to the fssai in the prescribed format. Based on the application and supporting documents, fssai will accord approval.
Fill fssai online liscense application form a on fssai website and make the payment for fssai application.
Once the payment confirmation is reflected in your fssai account, you need to file form b with the government. There are multiple declarations and resolutions that need to be filed with your application. E.g., board resolution, owner self-declaration. These declarations should ideally be prepared by a company secretary.
You will then need to follow-up with the government department for an update on your application. The government may send back your application for edits – if you fail to respond with 15 days of the application, then your application will be rejected.
The government department will take 30 working days to completely review your application and approve the same.
How we help with fssai license
Fssai licensing expert will prepare your fssai application along with the necessary supporting documents that needs to be submitted to fssai.
Once the application is prepared, we will submit the application to the concerned fssai licensing office and help submit additional documents or answer any queries.
Once the processing of the application is completed by the fssai. The concerned fssai office will issue the fssai registration or license typically with a validity of 1 or 2 years.
Why you should get fssai license?
- There is a high degree of consumer confidence in safety & quality of food.
- It helps to promote innovation in foods products.
- It helps in removal of multiple regulations.
- It facilitates trade without compromising consumer safety & a larger share.
What is fssai all about?
- Decentralization of licensing for food products.
- Simple and easy issue of license with time frame of 1 month.
- There is no license for small fbo’s, only registration is mandatory
- This act assures safety of consumer and ensures full compensation to victim in case of injury or death.
- Food business operator must be registered.
- If food business operator is operating in more than 1 state, one additional central license for head office is necessary.
- Importers are allowed to take one single central license at their import export code address.
- One presumption with various types of businesses is eligible for one registration only.
- Food business operator must obey the rules and conditions of registration.